Generation Next, an organization committed to closing the achievement gap among Twin Cities’ low-income students & students of color, conducted numerous facilitated discussions with older teens & youth and found that simple, straightforward communication, listening, and more and better personal relationships with caring adults are keys to closing the gap.
Based on these conversations, Generation Next developed 10 recommendations, which include:
- Create a more accountable community and wider base for support in school, at home, in relationships, in our neighborhoods.
- Have a more interactive classroom experience.
- Teach real-life skills to improve readiness for college/career.
- Have more resources for financial help.
- Find positive role models and mentors.
The next steps is to identify the programs that will support Generation Next’s recommendations & achieve results.